Thursday, March 21, 2013

Week 8: Getting Some Perspective

Waiting for Sir Ken. . .
I believe we are officially half way finished with your hybrid course. When this journey began, even I wasn't sure of the exact path it would take. What I did know is that I wanted to teach you all to fish in terms of using a PLN to grow as an educator. What I didn't know is that I would have grades K-12 represented in the course or that everyone would be doing the curricular unit. . .the 20% project is a good "hook" for many students to see the value of a PLN for personalized learning. However, if everyone could begin to internalize the concepts of what it means to truly cultivate a PLN, then the curricular unit could have been wrapped around the passion that inspires you. Many of your passions were about school/education issues. I'm not sure as to the level that this is happening. Another added benefit of a PLN is that it allows for more personalization of the content you receive. If you begin reflecting on your blog about what interests you, what fascinates you, what you would like to know, what you have learned, then I, and your peers can respond to you in ways that fit your unique learning circumstances. If you do not share what you are passionate about and instead wait for explicit instruction, then you are selling your freedom for comfort. I hope that in your mid-term PLN reflections (see assignment instructions in Edmodo), you can begin to devise a way to more deeply cultivate and personalize your learning. There have been some inspiring blog posts from many of you! I really have enjoyed reading and responding to most of them. There seems to always be a point in the semester at which a student finally "gets it" and lets go of the expectation that this will be a typical class of motivation controlled by carrot and stick. I look forward to this moment and often find myself questioning if it is going to happen. . .My experience says that it will. This transformation also involves trusting that when I say if you truly give your all in cultivating your PLN, in facilitating your own learning and sharing about it, you can choose your grade. I really want to create an opportunity where grades are off the table and the focus is on the learning.
Walking to the convention center from my hotel
Tonight, we are going to discuss some ideas on how to incorporate technology into your curriculum. I also want to share some of the new ideas and tools I discovered at CUE. . .and the ones some of you learned virtually. Hopefully, some of you would also like to share some tools that you find helpful or that you just think are awesome sauce!

This Week's Question: We gave some favorite songs about love a few weeks ago. If you have noticed, most of them are on a Spotify playlist on the class blog. . Tonight I would like to know what is one of your favorite breakup or heartbreak songs? What makes it so?

18 comments:

  1. So I guess I was confused the last post and put up my favorite break up song. Keeping in line with the opposite theme I will share my favorite love song

    "My Girl" by The Temptations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabriel,
      Ha. . .I did say last time any song about love and most of them were about romantic love. . .I added some breakup songs too. . .funny, two of the men chose breakup songs

      Delete
  2. Elton John- I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues
    It is a catchy yet melancholy tune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look What You've Done by Jet. It's a pretty bitter breakup song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie Underwood, "Before He Cheats" because it's such a bad ass song and she takes control!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wailin' Jennys: Beautiful Dawn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBYrRPSG-Rs

    Take me to the place where I don't feel so small
    Take me where I don't need to stand so tall
    Take me to the edge so I can fall apart
    There's only one way to mend a broken heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink - So What ... rock out, dance with your friends break up song

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beyonce-Irreplaceable. Its not my favorite (i dont have one actually) but its the first one that comes to mind when I think about "break up" songs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Best Days of Your Life" -Kellie Pickler

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adele- "Turning Tables" and/or "Don't You Remember"

    She's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, Sinead O'Connor, Nothing Compares to You

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so vain-Carly Simon
    I LOVE in the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 days when they can't even sing it at each other, it's like watching a train wreck. I also love how it doesn't make any sense at all and that it might be about Joey from Full House who was apparently quite a dawg

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a couple...

    I think the most recent one would be Adele's "Rolling in the Deep"

    and an old song Jagged Edge "Goodbye" :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are so many, but, two immediately come to mind. First, "Good Year for the Roses" by George Jones. Back when country music was good (sorry, fans of contemporary "country" music). The lyrics are heartbreaking and to me, capture the essence of breaking up combined with the sense of defeat. Second, "Rid of Me" by PJ Harvey. Mostly because PJ Harvey is a bad ass and also because the song is creepy and loud. Want to be amazed? Watch her singing it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzwG3r9_L9o (Also, like anyone would ever want to be rid of PJ??)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce. It is empowering because as a women, you do not have to acceptable infidelity and the poor excuses that come with them.

    "to the left, to the left, to the left", everything you own in the box to the left!"

    Don't think....your irreplaceable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sara Bareilles has a song called "Gravity" that I absolutely love. My obsession with this song came from an amazing So You Think You Can Dance routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_48OKZqYzHM

    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Little late to this as I've out in the wilderness the last couple weeks.

    I don't know about "favorite" to describe this category, but I always think of "Borne on the FM Waves of the Heart" by Against Me! when this category is mentioned.

    It talks about some of the lack of control and helplessness that surrounds heartbreak and breakups.

    Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmUKY0JEArA

    ReplyDelete